BOT Meeting & Retreat Summary
September 22, 2006
The Board of Trustees met on campus Thursday, September 14, and Friday, September 15, as the first meeting of the 2006-07 academic year. In addition to having an extremely worthwhile orientation for new and returning members on September 14, the board met on Friday and adopted a resolution that reflects the very best of American University's values.
Read memo from BOT chair Gary Abramson
Read BOT resolution on Darfur
Read agenda for September 15 meeting and retreat
BOT Meeting & Retreat Agenda
September 13, 2006
The Board of Trustees chairman Gary Abramson released the agenda for the early fall meeting and retreat. A summary of the meeting will be posted next week.
Read agenda for September 15 meeting and retreat
AU President Search Announced
July 10, 2006
American University's Board of Trustees has announced that a search for a permanent president will formally begin in September 2006. The board voted unanimously to commence the search after extensive consultation with campus groups and external experts.
Read BOT announcement...
BOT Revised Bylaws and Policies Announced
June 28, 2006
At their meetings on May 18 and 19, and June 9, the Board of Trustees approved revisions to AU's bylaws and adopted a policy on trustee conflicts of interest. The board also adopted a university-wide whistleblower policy.
Read the amended Bylaws
Read the Trustee Conflict of Interest Policy
Read the Policy on Reporting Suspected Misconduct ("Whistleblower Policy")
BOT Meeting Summary
June 9, 2006
On June 9, the Board of Trustees completed the process to implement key recommendations from its Governance Committee that were unanimously approved at the May 19 meeting of the full board. This process included bylaws revisions, adoption of a university-wide whistleblower policy, and the adoption of a policy on trustee conflicts of interest. Some, but not all, of the committee's recommendations required bylaws revisions. All items, when final edits are inserted, will be posted on the AU governance Web site.
Read memo from BOT chair Gary Abramson...
AU Response to U.S. Senate Committee on Finance
June 6, 2006
On May 31, 2006, American University Board of Trustees Chairman Gary Abramson and Vice Chairman Thomas Gottschalk sent a letter and attachments to the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance, in response to a May 17, 2006 letter from Committee Chairman Charles Grassley.
Read the letter...
BOT Reforms Announced
May 19, 2006
The American University Board of Trustees today voted unanimously to accept recommendations from its Governance Committee on a program of reforms -- reforms that address inclusiveness, accountability, and transparency. The report outlines ways to improve board governance, strengthen oversight, and clarify trustee responsibilities. The board after extensive debate, deliberation, and input from the campus constituencies also expanded on the recommendations in a number of areas.
Read press release
Read statement from AU deans
Read joint statement from Faculty Senate chair & Faculty Senate Ad Hoc Governance Committee co-chairs
Read report from BOT Special Committee on Governance
Read biosketches of new BOT members
Read May 16 letter from BOT chair Gary Abramson
Read agenda for May 18 & May 19 BOT meeting
AU Report/Meeting Materials for the U.S. Senate Finance Committee
March 3, 2006
On March 3, 2006, the U.S. Senate Finance Committee staff hosted a meeting to discuss non-profit governance. University representatives, including Interim President Kerwin, members of the Board of Trustees, faculty, and students were invited to attend. To assist in the discussion, the Board of Trustees provided the following report on actions taken to improve governance, trusteeship, and internal management.
Read the report...
AU Response to the Senate Finance Committee
February 10, 2006
The attached letter is AU's response to the Senate Finance Committee's recent inquiry.
BOT Statements: Interim Selection Criteria for Trustee Nominees and Interim Procedures for Making and Processing Nominations
January 26, 2006
The Board of Trustees released procedures for making and processing BOT membership nominations. Nominations for membership to the Board may be received from any source.
Read selection criteria
Read nomination procedures
BOT Response to the Senate Finance Committee
December 1, 2005
On December 1, Board of Trustees chairman Gary Abramson and vice chairman Thomas Gottschalk, with the assistance of the counsel for the board, filed documents with the Senate Finance Committee in response to the October 27 letter of inquiry from Senator Charles Grassley. The detailed cover letter from the board chair and vice chair is available here for review by the American University community.
the archive information regarding governance at AU:
- February 22, 2006 Governance Committee Update
- February 21, 2006 Summary of February 16-17 BOT Meeting
- February 17, 2006 Notice of Meeting with Staff from U.S. Senate Committee on
- February 10, 2006 Governance Committee Update
- December 9, 2005 Summary of December 5 Governance Meetings
- November 16, 2005 Summary of November 10-11 BOT Meeting
- November 4, 2005 Message from Dr. Neil Kerwin, Acting President
- November 2, 2005 Faculty Senate Resolution
- November 1, 2005 Message from Dr. Neil Kerwin, Acting President
- November 1, 2005 School of Public Affairs Faculty Resolution
- November 1, 2005 Statement from the University Library Faculty
- October 27, 2005 Resolving the Past, Improving the Future-AU Trustees Apologize to the AU Community
- October 27, 2005 College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Resolution
- October 27, 2005 AU Graduate Students Respond to Ladner Buy Out
- October 27, 2005 AU Undergraduate Student Government's Response to Severance Package
- October 25, 2005 School of Communication Faculty Resolution
- October 25, 2005 School of International Service Faculty Resolution
- October 25, 2005 Kogod School of Business Faculty Resolution
- October 25, 2005 Washington College of Law Faculty Resolution
- October 24, 2005 Deans Condemn Severance Package for Benjamin Ladner
- October 20, 2005 memo from Acting President Kerwin to American University Alumni
- October 20, 2005 memo from Acting President Kerwin to American University Parents
- October 19, 2005 Faculty Senate Resolution
- October 10, 2005 memo from Acting President Kerwin to the Campus Community summarizing the Board of Trustees Meeting
- October 9, 2005 message from Acting President Kerwin regarding October 10th Board of Trustees Meeting
- September 29, 2005 Faculty Senate Special Meeting Minutes
- September 29, 2005 Faculty Senate Resolutions
- September 27, 2005 message from Vice President of University Relations Al Checcio to American University Alumni
- September 26, 2005 message from Acting President Kerwin to the Campus Community
- September 23, 2005 message from Acting President Kerwin to American University Parents
- August 24, 2005 statement from Chair of the American University Board of Trustees, Leslie Bains